Living in God’s kingdom here and now has both spiritual and earthly dimensions. The latter deals especially with social justice. Both of these are found in Mary’s response when Elizabeth told her, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.”
Mary replied, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior….The mighty one has done great things for me, and holy is his name.”
Of God she said, “His mercy is for those who fear him.” For those who don’t:
- He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
- He has brought down the powerful from their thrones.
- He has lifted up the lowly.
- He has filled the hungry with good things.
- He has sent the rich away empty.
Mary concludes that God “has helped his servant Israel in remembrance of his mercy.” Luke 2:39-55.
Howard W. Hallman is author of Living in God’s Kingdom: Here and Now, available from Amazon.